Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A question of information

The Boston Globe carried my letter yesterday, (March 12th), about the need for high quality patient oriented information on costs, efficacy, outcomes and so on.

I think that this is a serious debate, particularly in the US, because of the increasing pressure on patients to absorb more and more of their own healthcare costs.

As an example, I needed a blood glucose test recently for insurance, and I called my local hospital to know how much it would cost because I was paying for it myself. I have insurance, but this was not a medical treatment, and not medically necessary. After being passed around for a while, they told me that it would cost $41, so I went ahead and set it up.

A week later I got the bill. The charge? $156, almost four times the original, "quote." I am, "in discussion," with the hospital as to the reason. Initially they denied that they would provide any quotes for blood testing, but eventually conceded that it may have happened, "in error!"

My point, and the point of my letter, is that how can the system expect patients to undertake preventative medical procedures, such as a colonoscopy or a blood test, if you cannot get an accurate quote from the hospital. Many health plans are now requiring that the patient pick up several thousand dollars in deductibles, (mine does), and so I want to get the best value for my money. The hospital system does not seem to recognize that, but I suspect that in time they will be forced to change. At least I hope so, and I will be the first to commend those that offer their costs up front.

The one state in the union to encourage and participate in this is New Hampshire, which recently introduced a new system to allow patients to input their insurance information and gives a range of prices based on a select number of procedures. Check it out at: http://www.nhhealthcost.org/

This is a good first step, and the Department of Health and Human Services are to be commended.

The link to my own correspondence is: http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/letters/articles/2007/03/12/just_tell_us_what_healthcare_costs/

Take care!

Foster

No comments: